Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Speed Junkie

*third-party success*

This little bundle of greatness just arrived today... and I love it already. It's tack sharp, constant f/2.8, and takes up minimal room in my bag. Did I mention it's nearly three times less expensive than Nikon's 17-55mm f/2.8 and way sharper than the 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5? It also feels a lot more substantial than I had imagined, which pleases me; I'm not rough on my equipment but I use the hell out of it.

I'm not a tech-nerd. Distortion tests, chromatic aberration, fall-off...who cares. I've never looked at an image and thought, "barrel distortion's a little much, eh?" I want speed and brutal sharpness in my lenses. So far I'm thinking this one delivers.

I guess value is the word that comes to mind concerning this Tamron. Why spend $1,200 when you can get similar performance for less? Besides, that frees up the budget for more cool stuff.

Here are the first three frames taken with my new 17-50mm:



"When I discover who I am, I'll be free." - Ralph Ellison


say 'cheese':


Happy Hump Day!

No comments: