Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time -

It's not often that I get to sit down and zone out to the tube...but when I can you'll normally catch me watching the Discovery and History channels. I love learning about things that I'd otherwise have no inclination towards investigating. Take the History Channel's special on Houdini for example. I've never been a huge fan of magicians/illusionists/escape artists but I have always been able to appreciate the skill of true entertainers. Harry Houdini was THE entertainer of his time. Seeing how seriously he took his art form as well as how he lived it is what stood out to me.

I remember telling my mother (when I was much, much younger!) about my desire to become a stand-up comedian. Ha! That delusion remained until one day, for one reason or another, the thought of how difficult it would be to attempt to entertain a group of complete strangers overwhelmed me. Strangely enough, watching the Houdini program, as it revealed so many little things the man did to set his shows apart, conjured up those same feelings from so long ago. Some people are born entertainers...i guess.

No comments: